Job Opportunity: Graduate Debate Assistant
The University of Mississippi debate team encourages all qualified UM graduate students to apply for a Graduate Assistant position.
Salary: University approved stipend amount plus possible partial tuition waiver (per semester)
The Warren Debate Union at the University of Mississippi is seeking committed and enthusiastic graduate students to assist with the debate team. Graduate assistant debate coaches should be able to work with our diverse team, which includes students with many different backgrounds and experience levels. We are seeking assistant coaches who are passionate about helping students improve as debaters, public speakers, researchers, and scholars.
The Warren Debate Union is housed in the Department of Writing & Rhetoric, but applicants from any graduate program at the University of Mississippi are welcome.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Attending weekly team meetings and assisting with coaching of debate team members.
• Assisting as a judge, coach, and student supervisor at both online debate tournaments and in-person traveling tournaments.
• Assisting the Director of Forensics with debate team events such as the University of Mississippi High School Speech & Debate Tournament (Fall 2022) and public debate events.
- Graduate Student
- Ability to judge and coach debate/speech activities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to use team communication platforms such as GroupMe and Zoom.
- Experience as a coach or competitor in high school or college level debate, speech, and/or forensics activities.
- Ability to drive students to and from tournaments.
- Cover Letter with discussion of coaching philosophy and experience working with diverse populations
- 3 references with their contact information. Applicants are strongly encouraged to include at least 1 reference that can speak to the applicant’s experience as a debate/speech coach or competitor.
- Applicants should indicate if they qualify for “work study.”
For questions about the position please contact Director of Forensics Jacob Justice (email@example.com).